MICHAEL C. HALL TO STAR IN DAVID BOWIE’S NEW SCI-FI MUSICAL, LAZARUS

 

Coming off of the success of his turn as Hewdig in the Broadway revival last year of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, former Dexter and Six Feet Under star Michael C. Hall is now set to return to the stage in Lazarus, a new science-fiction musical by rock icon David Bowie and Once playwright Edna Walsh. The show will debut at the New York Theater Workshop this coming winter.

The show is going to be Directed by Ivo van Hove, and will feature new music composed by Bowie, as well as new arrangements of previously recorded music. Considering the sci-fi nature of this musical, I’d image some of those new arrangements of older material would have to include “Space Oddity” and “Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars“, right?

Lazarus is an adaptation of the sci-fi novel The Man Who Fell To Earth by Walter Tevis, which was actually already adapted into a film in the 1970s starring David Bowie himself as Thomas Jerome Newton, an alien who comes to Earth looking for water to take back to his home world. Now Michael C. Hall will be playing the same part Bowie played in the film (it all comes full circle). Luckily for Hall, playing glam rocker Hedwig was no doubt the perfect training to tackle any role inspired by Ziggy Stardust himself. Right now, Lazarus is scheduled to begin  preview performances on November 8 of this year, with opening night set for December 7, 2015.

Star Wars Star Jake Lloyd Arrested After Intense Car Chase

Jake Lloyd, the actor who played the young Anakin Skywalker in “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace,” was arrested, DMC has learned, after an insane car chase that ended when Jake plowed into some trees.
Cops say Lloyd was driving in Charleston, South Carolina, when Sheriff’s deputies began pursuing him. The chase was underway and it went on for miles, into another county.
Deputies say Jake began passing cars on the double yellow line and began driving recklessly, at high speeds.

Jake Lloyd

Cops say eventually Jake lost control of his car, which ran off the road, through a fence and into a wooded area where it struck several trees.
The 26-year-old who also starred in “Jingle All the Way” was arrested for reckless driving, failure to stop, resisting arrest and driving without a license.
He’s currently in custody.

‘My heart is with the families': Beyonce posts moving tribute to the victims of Charleston church shooting

Weariness, rage, and the depressing conviction that America is caught in a murderous loop of violence fueled by racism – these emotions resounded after the deadly shootings in Charleston, South Carolina.

As the nation mourned, Beyonce posted a video listing the names of the nine victims who were killed on Wednesday at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.

She accompanied the short film with the caption:’My heart is with the families, loved ones, and all of those affected by the senseless tragedy in Charleston. May they rest in peace.’

The victims of the tragedy, who were slain inside their church were: The Rev. Clementa Pinckney, 41, Cynthia Hurd, 54, The Rev. Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45, Tywanza Sanders, 26, Ethel Lance, 70, Susie Jackson, 87, Depayne Middleton Doctor, 49, The Rev. Daniel Simmons, 74, Myra Thompson, 59.

A 21-year-old white man has been charged with nine counts of murder in connection with the attack on the historic black South Carolina church, police said on Friday, and media reports said he had hoped to incite a race war in the United States.

The accused, Dylann Roof, is due to appear by video link to face a bail hearing on Friday and also faces a charge of possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime, the Charleston Police Department said.

Roof was arrested on Thursday in North Carolina, 220 miles (354 km) north of the nearly 200-year-old Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church where he is alleged to have shot dead nine black worshippers on Wednesday in a Bible-study group.

U.S. officials are investigating the shootings, in which four ministers including a Democratic state senator died, as a hate crime.

They were the latest in a year of turmoil in the United States where police killings of several unarmed black men have provoked an angry national debate about race relations, policing and the criminal justice system.

Lark Voorhies’ Facebook Husband Wanted By Police

Lark Voorhies’ social media honeymoon may be short-lived.

Jimmy Green, the man who Facebook poked his way into the former Saved by the Bell star’s good graces, has some skeletons that made its way on a police officer’s desk.

Via TMZ:

Lark Voorhies — who played Lisa Turtle on “Saved by the Bell” — has married a fugitive from justice … TMZ has learned.

Jimmy Green is a wanted man in Tuscon, Arizona after a 2012 incident in which he allegedly threatened to kill a store owner. According to a police report — obtained by TMZ — Green allegedly tried to return a cellphone but the owner refused to take it back. Cops say he then became enraged, threw the phone at the wall and said, “I’m going to break the store and kill (you).”

Green was charged with making criminal threats and disorderly conduct. He failed to appear for a court hearing and that’s why the warrant was issued.

TMZ broke the story … Voorhies and Green, who met on Facebook, got married in a quickie ceremony at the end of April in Vegas.
And understandably, her family is concerned.

Several members of Lark’s inner circle tell us they’re concerned she’s at risk. They’ve told her to seek an annulment … but Lark’s not having it.

Our sources say Lark claims Green told her all about his criminal past, and she believes he’s changed. She claims Jimmy’s trying to be a better man now, and she doesn’t intend to leave him.
Paging Tammy Wynette.
Lisa Turtle’s family is hearing that ‘ol “Daddy I’m in love with a gangsta” tune.

Courtney Love Manages To Cancel Some Screenings Of ‘Soaked In Bleach’!

Arena Cinema in Hollywood is an independent theater, which advertises itself as ‘showcasing the best in Independent Film’, and screening ‘these hard-to-find indie gems you search for and yearn to see that aren’t getting the big screen love anywhere else’… great! But wait a minute! On Wednesday night, I visited their website and saw they had programmed three screenings of ‘Soaked In Bleach’, on Friday and Saturday, and I was determined to attend one on Friday. But the controversial movie, directed by Benjamin Statler and reporting about Kurt Cobain’s death through the eyes of private detective Tom Grant was probably too hot to handle for Hollywood, when I went back to their page on Thursday, the screenings had disappeared.

I checked a few conversations online and I discovered that a few people had encountered the same problem elsewhere in the US.

‘Tom, our theatre alerted us that Courtney’s attorneys are trying to stop the showing of this film. They said they fear it won’t be shown again this weekend,’ wrote someone, ‘Before we even got to watch it though, a man entered the theater and told us that Courtney had put out a Cease and Desist order in and her lawyer had been in touch with the theater. They played the film anyway! Many of the people in the theater walked out looking stunned’, wrote another person, ‘I’m in Tulsa. I actually just found out that our theater here, that showed the film, is, so far, the only one who DID NOT receive the order. They are still gonna show it through Saturday. But a lot of other places have received the Cease and Desist order from her Lawyer’, replied another woman.

Circle Cinema, a theater in Oklahoma even wrote this on its Facebook page: ‘Apparently several theatres showing SOAKED IN BLEACH have received cease and desist letters from Courtney Love’s attorney. Good news, we haven’t. See you at the shows!’…

May be Courtney does not care about Oklahoma that much but visibly it is happening in many places and I wanted to be sure it was also the case in Hollywood so I decided to call the theater. A guy picked up the phone and he visibly didn’t want to answer my question about the movie, he just told me he couldn’t speak about it. Then I asked him ‘did you receive threats?’ and he replied ‘we are not allowed to discuss it’.

This is unbelievable! I have no doubt Courtney Love is a very powerful person, and this scandalous event proves it one more time, but what does she want to accomplish at the end? The more you censor a movie, the more it becomes interesting and intriguing, and I am even more eager to see it now. Plus does she think she can stop the truth to come out because she has managed to cancel a few screenings? The movie is available worldwide on Vimeo on demand, and she can’t stop this, can she? Does Courtney Love know she looks terribly bad now? It looks like damage control to me, and I wonder why she attacks theaters and does not sue Statler or Grant? But may be she can’t because she knows that they are telling the truth and she would lose? I will watch ‘Soaked in Bleach’ at home, Courtney doesn’t own the internet yet.

An update: Tom Grant just confirmed the story:

‘As many of you have already assumed, it’s true. Courtney’s lawyers had legally threatened the owners of each and every theater that had advertised they would be screening “Soaked In Bleach.”

Unfortunately, the threat worked on one of the theaters. Did you get that? Just ONE of the theaters. All of the other theaters that were scheduled for screening read the threatening letter then moved ahead.

I support and stand behind the theaters that are screening or are going to be screening “Soaked in Bleach.” I view this as the support of “Freedom of Speech.” Watch the film, then YOU decide..

You see, there are many business people in this world who CANNOT be intimidated. I’m sure they are now very happy they didn’t fold. I would like to express my gratitude and admiration for the courage they have displayed as an example to the rest of us all.

As you can see and read from posts online, “Soaked in Bleach” was a HUGE success at each theater where it was screened so far.

I mentioned earlier that I was at the Crestwood Theater in Westwood Village last night with Benjamin Statler, Sarah Scott and August Emerson. As the film concluded, the audience reaction was overwhelming. The ovation was not anticipated, and a second round began as the credits started rolling!

We went there with the expectation of possible heckling or other disturbances. It turned out to be just the opposite. Along with so many others who wanted to express their appreciation after the film, I had one young lady come up to me to talk, but she could not stop apologizing. She told me she had been a huge fan of Courtney’s. She added that she had sent me several sarcastic comments on Facebook and other social media, using several different account names. After watching MOH and now “Soaked in Bleach,” she felt and acted ashamed as she apologized to me.

I assured this very sweet young lady, “It’s ok. This has been happening for years. We know that people who have never really seen the facts normally react like you did. You don’t need to feel bad at all. It’s no big deal.”

That didn’t seem to help her much. She still apologized several times. It was a moment that will remain etched in my mind. It was more than a text message—it was a human being standing in front of me face-to-face, saying things that were so meaningful and powerful, even though she didn’t need to say anything.

“Soaked in Bleach” may have made an impact on this young woman, but she certainly made an impact on me!

Tom’

Unfortunately for me, it seems that the threat worked on the theater where I was planning to see the movie! May be it is because she has more connection in Hollywood? Who knows? But I salute all the other theaters which went on with the screenings.

Missing Boston library art found, tucked on library shelf

A pair of missing artworks worth $600,000 were found, weeks after they disappeared from the Boston Public Library, triggering a review of the 164-year-old institution’s security and prompting its president to resign.

The Albrecht Durer engraving and Rembrandt etching, whose loss brought on a scandal that occupied the front pages of Boston’s newspapers for weeks, turned up on a library shelf, about 80 feet (24 m) from where they should have been filed, the library said on Thursday.

“I was shocked to find the two prints, but it really was just luck of the draw,” said Lauren Shott, a library staffer who had participated in the eight-week search through the library’s 23-million-item collection. “Anyone of the team that’s been looking for the Durer and Rembrandt could have found them.”

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, Boston Police Department and U.S. Attorney’s office had all joined the investigation for the Durer engraving of Adam and Eve, dating to 1504 and worth about $600,00 and the 1634 Rembrandt self-portrait, estimated at $20,000 to $30,000.

The artwork was unearthed the day after library president Amy Ryan, dogged by weeks of charges that the library’s inventory controls were faulty, tendered her resignation, saying she wanted “to allow the work of the Boston Public Library to continue without distraction.”

Ryan, who joined the library eight years ago, still plans to leave her post on July 3, said spokeswoman Melina Schuler.

“Nothing has changed regarding her resignation,” Schuler said.

Bieber pleads guilty to assault, careless driving in Canada

Justin Bieber pleaded guilty to assault and careless driving charges in connection with a collision and altercation with a photographer near his Canadian hometown, his lawyer confirmed on Thursday.

The 21-year-old singer, who appeared at the hearing via video link from Los Angeles, received an absolute discharge on the assault charge and a C$750 ($600.00) fine for the careless driving charge. He was also required to pay a C$100 victim surcharge.

The pop star had originally been charged with dangerous driving following the August incident, but that charge was dropped.

The incident happened during a visit to the Stratford, Ontario, area with pop star Selena Gomez. The two were “disrupted by the unwelcome presence of paparazzi,” his lawyer said at the time.

Local media, citing police, reported there was a “physical altercation” following a collision between a minivan and an all-terrain vehicle outside the town.

Bieber’s lawyer, Brian Greenspan, said the absolute discharge for the assault “recognized the fact that it was an incident that was somewhat provoked and that it lasted less than a minute.”

“The assault was described even by the photographer as a couple of slaps, certainly three at the most, that he deflected with his shoulder,” Greenspan said, adding that Bieber acknowledged his responsibility to the judge.

Bieber, whose songs include the hits “Boyfriend” and “Beauty and a Beat,” has been a favorite paparazzi target and has had several run-ins with the law.

In August, he pleaded guilty to careless driving and resisting an officer without violence in Florida, part of a deal to resolve allegations that he had been drag racing in a Lamborghini under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

In July, Bieber pleaded no contest to misdemeanor vandalism for pelting a neighbor’s California home with eggs. He was sentenced to two years probation.

John Lennon’s long lost Gibson guitar up for sale

A rare, once-lost 1962 guitar belonging to former Beatles member John Lennon will go up for auction this year and could break a record, Julien’s Auctions said on Thursday.

The jumbo J-160E Gibson Acoustic guitar, purchased by Lennon in Liverpool, is expected to fetch between $600,000 and $800,000 when it goes on sale on Nov. 6 at an auction of rock’n’roll memorabilia in Beverly Hills.

Darren Julien, owner of Julien’s Auctions, called the guitar “one of biggest finds in music history,” and said its sale could top the $965,000 auction record set in 2013 for an electric guitar owned by Bob Dylan.

“John Lennon items don’t come up very often because a lot of people keep them. This was one of his favorite guitars, he talked about wishing he still had it,” Julien said.

Lennon died on Dec. 8, 1980, after he was shot by a fan in New York City.

His Gibson guitar went missing in 1963 during the Beatles’ Finsbury Park Christmas Show, and turned up 50 years later, after it was purchased by a man named John McCaw in a U.S. second-hand goods shop.

Its authenticity was verified by Andy Babiuk, who has written about musical equipment used by the Beatles, by matching the guitar’s serial number, wood grain and scratches to photographs and videos of Lennon playing the instrument.

Babiuk said Lennon used the guitar to record the Beatles hit single “Love Me Do,” and played it in live shows and writing sessions.

TLC’s Duggar daughters say forgive brother for molestation

Two of the daughters in TLC’s reality show “19 Kids and Counting,” told Fox News on Friday that they had forgiven their brother Josh Duggar for molesting them in the past, but said they felt ‘revictimized’ in recent weeks by the media outlets that have dredged up the juvenile offenses.

Jill Dillard, 24, and Jessa Seewald, 22, told “The Kelly File” host Megyn Kelly that they weren’t initially aware of inappropriate advances around 12 years ago from their then-teenaged brother.

They said they only found out about the molestation, which took place while they were asleep, when he told their parents.

“He was very sly, the girls didn’t catch on,” said Seewald, who was aged around 9 at the time.

“It was very subtle, and so I think that for us, we realized this is serious, but at the same time, it wasn’t like a horror story.”

Dillard and Seewald, both now married, said that their family had forgiven Josh Duggar, now 27, who was never arrested or charged for the offences that involved four sisters and a babysitter, including a girl aged under 10 at the time.

They instead expressed anger at the tabloid outlet that last month leaked police reports from 2006 detailing the offenses committed by their brother.

Dillard, amid tears, said “maybe there’s an agenda” behind the tabloid leak of juvenile records, and said it could be detrimental to other victims who may be too afraid to report incidents.

“The victims are the only ones who should speak for themselves,” Dillard said.

TLC, owned by Discovery Communications, did not respond for comment on Thursday on the future of the show.

Last month, the network pulled all episodes of “19 Kids,” its top-rated show, after reports surfaced that Josh Duggar had molested underage girls.

Both sisters said they were not concerned if the TV show is canceled.

“It’s not always been easy on television and yet we’ve always allowed the filming to take place and allow people to see our struggles … this is another struggle that we’re going through,” Dillard said.

Duggar parents Jim Bob and Michelle came under fire this week for downplaying their son’s abuse in a Fox News interview that aired Wednesday.

Josh Duggar released a statement last month apologizing for acting “inexcusably” 12 years ago. He also resigned from his job at the Christian lobbying group Family Research Council.